Samstag, 30. März 2013

Mappers Blog: Jiří Daněk 8-color-scheme for his field notes

As I am collecting field notes from as many different mappers as possible (send me yours (incl. map name, 10x10cm original size field note, corresponding map clip, map name, as comments to your drawing philosphy; mlerjen@ubol.ch) and on the same time I am preparing for something, I thought I would do in about 10 years (Mapping the heart of Uaul Grond!; most eastern part on the map) Jiří Daněk shared to me the 8-color-scheme he follows to make his field notes.

To get a visual idea how his color scheme would turn out at the Uaul Grond map I downloaded Swiss Orienteerings ISOM2000 1:10K Reference file and modified it according to Jiřís scheme. If you want to try it just download this ISOM2000 1:10K Reference File (Fieldnote, Colors& Symbols J.Daněk) (OCAD9), then open a OCAD map similar to the map you are going to map and then load colors and symbols from the file just downloaded (OCAD10>Karte>Farben und Symbole laden von); if you get to many error messages it could be about time to clean up ;-)).

For the Uaul Grond project, I tried this out with that part I mapped for the Swiss O Week 2011 Training Map Crestasee which is acutally bordering the current project.
fig.1. Part of the map Crestasee according to ISOM2000.

fig. 2. Same map visualized with the field note set according to Jiří Daněk. Additionally he uses very thin green and purple for the construction. Blue characters to qualify roads and tracks. If the terrain is very rocky he also uses two colors for the rocks (passable and not passable).

fig.3. Sample of Jiří Daněks field notes from Vastanaberget, Skåne, Sweden, Year 2000.

What do you think? How would your field notes look like? I invite you to translate your own field note symbol set in the similar way as I did and send it to me. I will publish it.

Keine Kommentare:

The KanPas Focus 200

So here is the KanPas Focus 200. Actually the compass making orienteering easy. Maybe even too easy? - Sorry for that. fig.1. What a beauty ...