Mittwoch, 3. April 2013

Mappers Blog: Base for mapping Uaul Grond

I am leaving for Switzerland for some weeks. The Hemfosa project will rest until the snow has melted away. Instead I will be mapping a part of the Uaul Grond, by the way my favorite part of my favorite forest (Uaul la Teua and Uaul la Crusch). Here I share  a sample of my base map with you.
fig.1. Basemap for mapping Uaul la Teua

Some details:
  • The base map itself bases on Laserdata, offical measurement data (violet), older maps and actual maps alongside.
  • As the terrain is very detailed  I am mapping 1:3500 for a 1:10K map to get some space for clean drawing. The less detailed part I map in 1:5K as usual. I try to keep the base map as decent as possible, so I print it out in grey-scale.
  • As the terrain is complex the contourlines are provided with slopelines. Equidistance is 1m.
  • The vegetation information (available from OCAD11, alt. Karttapullautin) I reduced to this grey surfaces in the background (grey means: No high or intermediate trees).
  • Some size-reference objects in the upper left corner
  • the blue mesh for referencing the field notes
  • the other blue lines to organize the overlap of the different sheets
  • violet: data from official measurents, but the laser data is expected to be more precise
  • the bordering track of the existing map in the lower left corner is set to grey in case it has to be adapted
  • Additionally I will carry with me a print of the  map from 2000 mapped by Gian-Reto Schaad, Urs Steiner and Beat Imhof. I guess I can always learn from them.



Keine Kommentare:

The KanPas Focus 200

So here is the KanPas Focus 200. Actually the compass making orienteering easy. Maybe even too easy? - Sorry for that. fig.1. What a beauty ...